The Seven Principles Workshop for Couples is based on the internationally acclaimed research of Dr. John Gottman as presented in his New York Times bestselling book—The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work. This educational workshop is designed to help couples improve their friendship and conflict management skills.
The Seven Principles Workshop includes lectures and private couples exercises. Registration includes the book The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work, two Couples Guides, and Love Maps and Open-Ended Questions card decks. Participants will not share their personal problems in front of others.
What You Will Learn
This 6 hour workshop provides proven tools to help couples:
- Improve friendship, fondness and admiration
- Enhance romance and intimacy
- Manage conflict constructively
- Gain skills to address perpetual and solvable problems
- Create shared meaning
- Maintain gains throughout a lifetime
Benefits of this Workshop
- Provides structure, motivation, and accountability to work through the materials found in the 7 Principles book.
- It is encouraging to be with other couples who are also working on improving their relationships.
- It is lighthearted and less threatening than therapy, but may also be a bridge to therapy if needed.
- Helps couples articulate goals, expectations, and time frames for working on their relationship in a positive way.
- Encourages both partners to work on the relationship rather than one partner reading the book alone.
- A great resource for premarital couples to learn skills that will enrich their relationship through a lifetime.
Who Should Attend
- Couples contemplating engagement
- Premarital couples
- Newlyweds to Seniors
- Unmarried couples in a committed relationship
Who Should Not Attend
- Couples in severe relationship distress
- Significant emotional or physical abuse
- Mental health problems
- Relationships where one or both partners are addicted to drugs, alcohol, or other compulsive behavior
Should you be interested in this work, but are dealing with any of these issues, a trained mental health provider can be recommended who specializes in Couples Counseling.